Thursday 9 September 2010

There is a blush of autumn about the river. The very tops of the chestnuts are just showing highlights though the oak woods are still reassuringly dark. Isolated pines lance through the canopy supporting noisy but invisible rookeries. On board, the serenity of the river has been fractured by one of the crew's enthusiasm for their new concertina - The Box. A delight in the right hands but the learning process can be painful for those of a discerning ear. Thank goodness they didn't buy bagpipes (another Breton favorite) or worse - a bombard. I was moored in the inner harbour at Lorient once, during their occasional celtic festival. I thought then, If I ever hear a baghad again, it'll be too soon. That said, I do think a small guitar might be nice to while away an ocean crossing. There's a very musical community afloat. I knew a guy who had three pianos on his boat, and a model train set. He also made the best profiteroles known to man. Having spent several days scraping down a mast in preparation for umpteen coats of best varnish, his coffee breaks in the boatyard were a treat. Time for a brew I think...

No comments:

Post a Comment